Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Top down MetroidVania?

A topic by BuddyBoyBueno created Jan 10, 2022 Views: 696 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(+1)

I am curious if a topdown metroidvania would be acceptable. I've been watching videos on youtube discussing the topic of metroidvanias and in these videos they suggest that some FPS games could be considered metroidvania games. However in the wikipedia article that was linked to this jam, they specify that it is a 2d side scroller. 

If the game has a gate blocked map, character/knowledge progression and exploration/revisiting, would that constitute a metroidvania? I am  curious, what do other people think defines the genre, specifically if it is not in the traditional side scroller format.  

Host(+1)

The page said that metroidvanias typically are side scrollers. But the genre is not limited to it, so feel free to experiment with other layouts and views! Top-down, FPS, really anything. That debate has been brought up many time in the Discord server, and the general rule for a metroidvania that came out is "non-linear path with upgrades that change how you interact with the environment", so nothing on the view/layout!

(+1)

I want to do a top-down, but time will tell.

Submitted(+2)

i don't think there is anything about a top down system that prevents the core elements of a metroidvania from being present. in fact i would be excited to see the concepts from new perspective and i bet others would be too.

(1 edit) (+1)

That inspires me to do an orthographic Metroidvania, but maybe next time.

Submitted(+1)

I would love to see that! totally makes sense for a next time thing. I've never designed graphics for that but off the top of my head it seems like it would add a lot of complexity to asset needs.

Thank you for the feedback!

must it be an action-game? I want to make an adventure (with some action-sequences)

I don't see why you couldn't make a adventure based game