Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jam Specific Questions Locked

A topic by Mister Jay the Game Maker created Aug 15, 2020 Views: 657 Replies: 18
This topic was locked by Mister Jay the Game Maker Aug 16, 2020
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Host

This thread is dedicated to Jam questions.

Submitted

Just to be sure, parallax (even only using the rtp ) and plugins are not allowed, right? 
no edited graphics. nor created

Host (1 edit)

That is correct.  Let me look into using parallax mapping.

I don't think Parallax mapping should be allowed - using photoshop for editing the tiles or rearranging them in fascinating ways defeats the point of an RTP & engine only jam

Host

Parallax mapping can be done without GIMP and Photoshop.  I remember being able to do it six years ago, with just RTP, and without editing.  I will try to see, if it can be done.

Host

I just looked at the Parallax Background feature of MV.  If used, you may use the predetermined 15 Parallax Background maps.  This is available in the map editor, and Page 3 of the Event Commands.  I have not looked at my other RPG Maker engines.

Submitted

I have a couple of questions:

- Can we use the Character Generator (MV, VX-Ace...)?
- Why would you add a limitation such as the "Genre" and with that removing the modern RTP resources? Isn't that a bit to much? Just asking.

Host

Yes, you may use the character generator, that comes with each specific version.

I want to see Fantasy games with a search for a miracle theming.  In addition, I want to see the games not be in a Sci-Fi nor modern setting.  

(1 edit)

Can you add tiles from one tileset file to another?  (Like, for example, adding the grass autotiles from  "Outside_A2" to "Inside_A2")

Host(+1)

Unfortunately, that is editing a tileset.

May I ask sir, can you elaborate more about searching for miracle in a fantasy setting? I'm a bit confused.

Deleted 333 days ago
Host

By fantasy, I am talking mainly like fairy tales, knights, orcs, ancient times, etc.  It does not include science fiction nor modern times.  I hope that helps.

(1 edit)

Can I use external tools to manipulate database/map data?  (2k/2k3e, no patches)

Host

Which tools?

(2 edits)

Helpers for putting aritrary parameters to events/maps/databases (lcf2xml, event factory) and/or hex editors for the same basis (clcl).  For using it for experimental features technically compatible with unmodified RM2k/2k3e (not oficially as editor does not let you put these particular values, but the game executable (RPG_RT.exe) can handle it, like loading RTP resources from other categories (charas as pictures for example), controlled out-of-bounds corrupted events for making special effects, among others). 

Host

Thanks for explaining.  This would not be allowed, in this particular game jam.

Submitted (4 edits)

I've got question about the theme "searching for miracle"

1.When it's about miracle, normally it will include God or Religion, or faith of some kind. So is it allowed to invent some made up fantasy religion?

2.Only people who are desperate or in bad / horrible condition will search for miracle, so is the theme must be "sad", or it is allowed to be" comedy" genre as well?

3.Is the story has to has ending, or endless gameplay is fine as well?  Like a casual mobile game where there is "no ending"

4.Can the game not have battle at all?

5.What is the thing would be judged most heavily? Is it originality? Creativity of eventing? Storyline?Mapping?

I'm asking this because I have idea to make parody game, which is of course based on other people's idea/story/character

6. Since no plugin is allowed,does this mean screen resolution cannot be changed?

Host

1.  Miracles do not have to be faith based.

2.  It does not have to be morbid or sad.

3.  Game length may not reached an ending.

4. Games do not have to have battles.

5. Currently all listed categories have equal weight.

6. I did not find an event command that changes resolution.

Host (1 edit)

From now on, create a new topic thread for new questions.  Thanks.

Host locked this topic