Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Game made with Pico8

A topic by dmbalzer created May 24, 2022 Views: 207 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(1 edit)

Is submitting a game made with Pico8 (paid retro game dev environment by lexaloffle) but playable for free and source code available, allowed? Also the game is a remake of battleship, is that also allowed?

Submitted

The game can be anything you like, so long as it fits the theme (I'd personally love to play a battleship-like game). As for whether it's allowed, it being a paid software and all, I had the same confusion since I'm using RPG Maker which is paid too, but everyone who answered told me it should be fine, because it's not like anyone can have access to the software itself from your source code. I'd think yours is a similar case to mine, so I think you should be all good too :)

Submitted

If it helps, this is the post and the answers I received for my version of the question.

https://itch.io/jam/gamedevtv-jam-2022/topic/2125976/can-someone-clarify-this#po...

Thank you that helps!

Submitted

If Pico8 is considered an asset(meshes, particles, premade mechanics), then it cannot be used. If the paid product allows for the creation of assets, or is just an extension of the free asset, then they requested that you remove certain pieces of it, and to give credits. I would watch their live streams they put out. They answer it fairly clearly. Also check the licensing on Pico8. It sounds like it might not be something they allow commercial redistribution on, which is what this would be considered.

So maybe yes, also maybe no. I am hoping it is a yes. If anything. Do your best and give credits, where credits are due.

I hope this helped. Best of luck with the rest of the GameJam!